Family law involves some of the most personal, difficult situations our clients can face. Although there are some aspects of family law that are positive, such as adoption, most of what we see has to do with relationship breakdowns, and can be very stressful for everyone involved.
We understand what our clients are going through. We have been practicing in family law in Ontario for 15 years and have helped guide families through all sorts of difficult, painful conflicts.
Helping Your Family
At Aitchison Law Office, we try to help you find solutions to your problems through negotiation and mediation, rather than prolonged and costly court proceedings, whenever possible. The aim is to get your family past this difficult time with compassion and efficiency, so that you can move on.
Court is the last resort, though we will aggressively litigate on our clients' behalf if necessary.
Our Oshawa family lawyer can help you through all aspects of your separation, including:
- Child custody and access: We can help you find the best arrangement for you and your children.
- Child support: Although child support is largely set by the Child Support Guidelines, we can help you understand how they apply to you and help you enforce or change the amount of support as needed.
- Spousal support: We can help you negotiate spousal support that is fair and reasonable, taking into account the length of your marriage and the incomes of both spouses. We can explain the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines.
- Property division: Whether your property consists of simple bank accounts or complicated business assets and multiple kinds of real estate, we can help make sure your interests are protected and all assets and debts are fairly split.
- Separation agreements: We can help you negotiate a fair, reasonable agreement to settle differences between you and your ex-spouse and set out how your family will work post-separation.
- Divorce: Our office can do the paperwork necessary to obtain a formal divorce.
- Adoption: We can help stepparents adopt their spouses' children and assist with adoptions in other circumstances as well.
- Marriage contracts and cohabitation agreements: Whether you are getting married or living together, we can help you plan for the future in the event of a separation.
Let Aitchison Law Office help you find solutions that will be lasting and fair to you, so that you and your family can move on to the next stage in your lives.